Wednesday, November 11, 2009

We Have An Answer

Through this whole medical mystery, I've wondered, "If I don't have Addison's Disease, then why was the medication, especially the Florinef, helping me to live a normal life?" Well, yesterday I got my answer. Florinef helps Addison's patients to control their low blood pressure. When I was off the Florinef my blood pressure would drop and my heart would start to race causing attackacardia (a heart rate over 100). Once I reached 156 beats per minute with a normal blood pressure measurement. The reason for my blood pressure drop and attackacardia was not because of my addrenal glands, rather it is from my veins not constricting when I stand or do any kind of activity. This causes my circulation to slow causing my blood pressure to drop and my brain to call for more oxygen which makes me dizzy and then my heart tries to compensate by beating faster. This condition is called Disautonomy. (I think that's it in English. We did the whole doctor's visit in Spanish.) So now I'm on another drug that will help to constrict the veins in my feet and allow my blood pressure not to drop as far when I stand up. I'll see the doctor in another month, but for now I'm glad to have a viable diagnosis!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you know that's what I have, right? Makes sense since a lot of our symptoms were similar. Glad to hear they've figured it out!
-Jenn

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!

Love you
Carol C.