Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Saddening

The twins are EXTREMELY active, especially in the morning around 10:30. So today we took a walk to two different parks. On the way back from our adventures, I saw a whole group of people in dress clothes; ties and skirts and all. They looked wonderful and they even had some of their kids with them. But then I realized what they were doing. They were from a religious group and were knocking on people's doors to share their version of the gospel with people. I have to give it to them, they are definitely a persistent bunch. However, I found myself praying for them as I walked by. Then I began to think...How do we distinguish ourselves from them?
Are we so in love with Christ that we can't wait to tell everyone we meet.

I was on a plane ride from Argentina to Miami back in 1998. I was pleased to see that I had an isle seat on a VERY FULL flight. I placed my things up in the overhead bin and settled into my seat. Then I smelled it, the woman's perfume. I have a very sensitive nose and strong smells can give me a headache or make me nausious. Well, needless to say as the night flight wore on the strength of the perfume smell disapated and I was able to sleep a little bit. However about an hour and a half before landing in Miami, the woman got up to use the rest room. When she returned I was OVERWHELMED with a second perfume scent.

This has often brought back Bible passages that speak about being a sweet smelling aroma to the Lord. How about sharing Christ that way? Are we sharing Christ, but sharing Him in a way that is like wearing a little bit of perfume and not bathing in it? I for one want to be a pleasant aroma to those around me to allow people to see a difference in my life rather than being immediately put off by my scent before I even make it to their "front door."

No comments: