Sunday, June 22, 2008

Teachable Moments

Ok here's a script that transpired in our house this morning while the kids were making an umbrella fort.

Hannah - Wow! You've got a GREAT fort, Caleb!
Caleb - Thanks!
Hannah - Those umbrellas really help with the rain!
Caleb - Yeah, they do!
Hannah - But I've got protection from the rain too!....Right?
Caleb - Yeah, I guess we both do.
Hannah - You've got good security for your fort!
Caleb - Yeah, no one can get in here!
Hannah - But I've got great security too!...Right?
Caleb - Well, we both do.

After this went on and on for about 5 minutes, I tried to focus the kids on their relationship dynamics. I know, they are young, but as I shared with them, God has given them a GREAT opportunity as to how to relate to someone of the opposite sex. Maybe this is preparation for their future "one boy and one girl" (husband and wife).
Much to my sadness, I rarely stop to take the time to listen to the way my kids interact. I'm usually too busy with other things and just thankful that my kids aren't fighting or running to me with "He said, she saids." However, I'm thankful that I didn't miss this conversation.
I used this teachable moment to help Hannah see how encouraging she was and naturally is toward her big brother. Caleb needed to see his need for encouraging his sister and helping her along. Maybe someday, with LOTS more guidance and teachable moments, their relationship will have helped to prepare them to be the Godly spouses they need to be. Any teachable moments with your kids lately?

No comments: