Friday, October 17, 2008

Bums for Jesus

Last night was girls' night out for a few of us. Some of my close friends here took me out for my birthday. It was SO great to get out of the house with friends! I miss the friends that I have here at ILE because they are continuing to spend time together in between classes and I'm never there. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being home with the kids and homeschooling them. This is what the Lord has directed us to do, but sometimes it's a bit lonely, especially without female companionship. Therefore, it was a really nice break to get out of the house!

Anyway, on the car ride there, I was saying that I'm really thankful for the transient people in my life. That I hope that I can be and have been a blessing to them and that truly many have been a blessing to me. Well, a couple of the girls looked at one another and wondered what "transient" meant. So, I explained in this context it meant the people that aren't in our lives for very long. In this year at ILE, I have many "transient" friends that minister to one another and then move on to other countries and may or may not stay in touch. Well, one of the girls had known what transient meant, but she thought of a bum. She thought I was talking about how I have "homeless bums" in my life.

Then we made the connection. Yes, a bum is usually homeless or moving a lot, often begging for money, and wears hand me down clothing. That sounds A LOT like missionary life. We move A LOT! We are asking for support to do God's work, and we often wear hand me down clothing! So, we all decided that we are "Bums for Jesus!" Anyone else want to join the club???

Editor's Note:
(OK clarification here. I understand that there are many responsible people out there that are homeless and are doing all that they can to provide for their families. My sister works for a group that helps such families find work, housing, and to provide for their families. They are not those that I would call "bums.")

No comments: