Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Balance and Medications

Balance - Heather? In the same sentence? Many of you who know me well, also know that I tend to go, go, go. If I have a task to do, I'll get it done, and do it well. However, more often than not that comes at the expense of my relationships. Some would put it this way... My personality type values Tasks OVER People. I have to say this is true. Sad, but true.


Anyway, since being diagnosed with Addison's Disease, I HAVE to take it much easier. I physically can't go, go, go. I think this is God's way of calming me down. See, with Addison's Disease, I don't get that extra "shot" of adrenaline when something goes wrong. Therefore, I can't get riled up about things unnecessarily. For instance, on Monday, I was riding in a taxi when we nearly had a head on collision. Most people, even after an incident like that would feel that extra "shot" of adrenaline, but not me. I simply thought, "Wow. We almost had an accident. How weird, I didn't even stress about it?.?." After talking to another Addison's patient, she told me she has had many of the same experiences, since being diagnosed over 15 years ago, so I guess that's my new "normal."


I asked my new Addison's friend, who by the way, has given birth to 4 children and manages them everyday while having Addison's, about balancing medications, and how each day I feel different. I just wish this was an exact science, but it isn't. NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!! I guess I need to take more meds when I'm feeling sick. A simple head cold can put me in the hospital again, or getting the stomach flu, or severe diarrhea. How FRUSTRATING it would all be, IF I COULD GET TRULY FRUSTRATED ABOUT IT!!


So for now please continue to pray that I would learn to balance my medication levels and that I would know when to increase based on the stress levels and sicknesses in my life. This is life long and has every day effects on me and my family.

This is just one of the medications that I have to carry with me every time I leave the house. In case of emergency, where I can't physically take another pill, someone has to give me this injection.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Such a life changing diagnosis, Heather. I'll be praying!