Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sights, Sounds, and Customs of Chile Series Volume 1

I've been meaning to post these thoughts for a few days. There are different sights and sounds here than any other place I've lived. I think as I come across a new one, I'll post it in the next "volume." So here is "volume" 1.

One of the first things one realizes when living in Santiago is that there are almost 7 million people here in this city, but Doug and I joke that there are a trillion dogs! People, just like in the states, LOVE dogs! However, there is no such thing as a dog pound or dog catchers, therefore dogs run wild here. We learned quickly in Costa Rica that stray dogs are actually less harmful than dogs who are seeking to protect their own territory. Stray dogs are often ignored and they simply ignore you.

However for me the sight of stray dogs isn't a new sight, but the types of dogs are a new sight. For instance the other day, I saw a large german shepard's body on a pair of little beagle legs. A couple of dogs were certainly creative one day!

For "Spanish"/Culture tutoring, I am reading a book called "Chileanismos," or chilean sayings. One of the things Chileans say when it is EXTREMELY HOT outside is...."Wow! It's raining grilled ducks. I have NO IDEA what sense this makes, but that's the phrase they use! Since we are heading into winter here, I doubt I'll have any ducks land on my head any time soon!

As we "run" across any other interesting sights, sounds, and customs, I'll post another volume!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I saw a stray St. Bernard once. It was as tall as me! and it was peeing on the wall that I was walking past. It could have peed on my shoulder if it would have wanted to. That was the only time I was afraid of the stray dogs. I also saw stray dogs that had nice doggie sweaters on, albeit dirty ones.