Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Puppy

I've written about the WEIRD looking dogs that walk the streets here in Santiago, but last Saturday, I saw a puppy. I was walking back to the school campus where I had left our car to take the metro downtown. I had gone with one of my Chilean friends from church. Sandra and I were almost back to the school, about 1 block away, when I saw this little girl "loving on" a puppy. As we got closer, I asked the little girl if the puppy was hers. She told me no and then after closer inspection of the puppy, I realized that this poor puppy had been thrown out on the street to die or fend for itself. Well at less than 3 months old, this puppy was on its deathbed. SOOOO I called Doug and asked if we could bring her home. His answer was a hesitant yes, so off we went to the vet. Sandra was such a help in this new realm of Spanish conversation. The puppy didn't do well for the first day, but now she is doing GREAT! Except she, just like a 3 month old baby, loves to cry and fuss. Oh well, this too shall pass. Meet "Rosita Kiwi." We call her Kiwi.
Kiwi on Saturday after she had been here for 1 day. Check out those ribs! She's finally beginning to fill in. Now she's REALLY SPUNKY!!!
Hannah loving on our new puppy!
I bought Kiwi a collar today. I wish that they had a pink one available, but I just couldn't buy her a blue one. Afterall she is a female!
For now, we have to keep the dog, Chloe that we are "fostering" away from Kiwi, in case Kiwi has some kind of communicable disease. Chloe, who has been a mother to a litter of puppies before, hears Kiwi's fussing and SOOO wants to love on her. I can't wait to see them together. They'll be SOOO cute!!! The vet says that Kiwi should be about the same size as Chloe, but is a mix of German Shepherd and Terrior. I love it! I've always loved German Shepherds and labs, but never liked their size. We don't have a big enough yard to be fair to a big dog, so we had been looking into adopting a small or medium size dog. Chloe is a medium size dog, and hopefully Kiwi will be too!
Chloe our "foster" dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So cute. I like her name! I'm sure Caleb and Hannah are having so much fun with her!

Love you all
Carol C.