Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sights, Sounds, and Customs Series Volume 4

Driving along it's interesting to see people sweeping their front lawn. Yup sweeping. Here though because most people have small yards they have no need for a rake, so they just use what they had already. Plus a broom gets not only those leaves on the lawn, but the dust on the driveway and sidewalk too. I've notice in Latin America, but especially in Chile that the front of ones house needs to be neat and "clean." The watering of lawns is frequent here and the driveway and outside of ones home is usually immaculate.

Sadly, I don't fit into those standards. My kids play with their toys in the driveway and although we do ask them to put them away when they are done, sometimes it just doesn't happen. We don't water our front entrance because there is no grass and we're just going to drive over it anyway to park our car during the day. However inside, I try to keep our house neat and clean for when we have people over. I guess the question for me is about our witness. What do our neighbors think about this "gringo" couple who doesn't go to the same extremes (normal for them) that they do?

No comments: