Thursday, June 4, 2009

Caleb's Spanglish Thoughts

In Costa Rica during the 3rd trimester, I finally realized why I was always being corrected by native speakers when I would say, any number and a half years, or months, or minutes. For example in English we say, my son is 7 1/2 years old. Or there are 1 and a 1/2 hours left in the program. Well, in Spanish they would say, my son is 7 years and a 1/2 or there are 7 hours and a half left in the program.

What took me YEARS to learn and begin to use, has taken Caleb only months. Yesterday before they went out to play in the street with some other kids, (Please keep in mind we live on a closed dead end street.) Caleb told Doug and I that they'd like to play for at least one hour and a half. What a blessing that he's even thinking in Spanish before he speaks in English!

No comments: