Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Hospital Stay

was great! I know most people wouldn't say that any hospital stay was great, but the hospital that I was at for FIVE days, was REALLY great!!! Clinica Biblica (http://www.clinicabiblica.com/) is the best hospital in Costa Rica. We are priviledged to have a doctor who practices there and also has hours at the language school! I truly believe that I received the same quality of care, if not better care, as I would have in the states. Dr. John Longworth, our doctor here, was born in Canada, but was raised here as an MK. He came back here to work at Clinica Biblica, but he has a special heart for missionaries, so he also has an office at the school where he sees ILE (Instituto de Lengua Espanola) students and their families at a discounted price. WHAT A BLESSING!!! And boy does he take care of us. While in the hospital he visited every day and got a TOP NOTCH endocrinologist involved in my case. What a comfort! Doctora Loria spoke English and I learned more from her in less than 1 hour than I have learned from any doctor. God was truly watching out for me! The nurses and staff at the hospital were wonderful, very friendly, and you could tell they truly love their work in a Christian hospital.
On Saturday I went into emergency with a friend from ABWE, Heidi Gott. She is here with us studying and then will head on to Colombia. I will miss her dearly when we head to different fields! Saturday was the day I felt the worst. I didn't know why, but I knew that by staying at home, I was not getting better, only worse, so while Heidi checked my into the hospital they attempted putting in an IV port. While they did this, I was so exhausted I couldn't even make a strong fist. I also almost passed out while sitting up on that gurney. After I laid down for quite a while they got me into a room on the 3rd floor. Then began the tests and tests and more tests. Until my dad called Doug on Sunday AM telling him of a familial history factor, that was KEY to determining what was wrong with my body, did we know which way to go with the MANY blood tests, X-rays, CAT scans, and a tilt test. The tilt test which tested my blood pressure and heart rate in various positions, was the worst test for me. I told Dr. Longworth of the familial history of Addison's Disease on Sunday at 11:00am when he visited me. By 4:00 pm there was an Endocrinologist in my room explaining issues. She connected SOOOO many dots from my past and current medical history. I praise the Lord that she was there to explain things and give me hope that I really did have a reason for being in the hospital.
They determined through the tilt test and multiple blood tests that indeed I do have Addison's Disease. For more info go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison or www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/addison/addison.htm . My grandfather and my aunt on my dad's side of the family also have this disease. This is "fixed" by cortizone pills, but even though I am out of the hospital, it will take a few days for my body to adjust to the meds. I'll return to school next week and then I have a HUGE oral exam on Wednesday and then a 3 hour written grammar test on Thursday. Please pray that I would have enough energy to take these tests so close to starting the medicine and that my body would hold up for such a long and emotionally nerve racking day.
Thanks to each and every one of you who prayed for me and who continue to pray for me! I still need it. We still need it. The kids had a REALLY hard time with my being in the hospital and cried themselves to sleep at least once if not more than once while I was gone. Doug is exhausted from running a household, being sole provider for the kids, full time student, and visiting a sick wife in the hospital. Pray this long weekend that is upcoming, with my dad visiting, will be a relaxing one and would give us family unity and security for the kids once again!

4 comments:

Julie said...

At least you look good girl!! :-)
We will be praying as you continue to recover and take your exams.
Many Blessings-

Jess Marie said...

WELCOME HOME!! HELLO - wasn't I a great part of your stay at Clinica Biblica. And not even a mention of our bonding in the hospital. BOOHOO! :)

Have a great weekend and try to rest. Love ya girl! Jess

Sara said...

Heather, such a relief that there is a diagnosis that is treatable and will give you the ability to continue this awesome journey that you are on. Many blessings and prayers as you go through this journey. We will be praying for you as always but especially right now and for those exams. Praise God for how HE has carried and is carrying you through this!

Stephanie said...

You all look happy despite the circumstances! I am so glad you have a diagnosis and that you received such excellent medical care. I hope you will be back to 100% very soon!