Sunday, August 24, 2008

New perspective

Through the Institute, there is a program of linking "big brothers and sisters" with new incoming students. The big brothers and sisters have the responsibilities of securing a house for the incoming family, arranging transporation from the airport to their new home, and showing them around. We were big siblings to one couple in May, Joe and Heidi Depuy, who are also with ABWE and are going to Mexico City, but we had been made aware of another family even before we had left the states in December and had committed to help them out when they arrived. They arrived last Thursday. Travis and Emily Mitten, along with their 4 daughters arrived safe and sound and have begun to adjust to life here in Costa Rica. Emily is doing EXTREMELY well, expecially since this is her first time out of the US - except for Canada I think. We've been to the local "SuperWalMart," "Sam's Club," and mall.

Through all of this, I realize just how much Spanish Doug and I have truly learned since being here. On the flip side, I also have realized just how little I truly know. Words that one uses in everyday conversation just are not there. To discuss household chores is a chore. To discuss general life details is simple, but get into anything philisophical and I'm TOAST!!! I know in time that will come, but some days I just wish God could just flip a switch and there it would all be. Too bad I don't learn from Osmosis. I'd put my Spanish dictionary under my pillow at night! Oh, the effects of the Tower of Babel!!!

No comments: