Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thankful Idiot

So, I'm basically doing an idependent study this trimester. I'm planning to work with a language partner, a tutor, and informal time attending a ladies Bible study each week. On Mondays and Fridays, I'm planning to meet with my language partner, Blanca. She has worked with students before and as I've requested will simply shake her head "no" when I mess up. This works well for me because I'll have the chance to really think about what I said wrong. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I'll have a tutor. Graciella is actually one of the professors from the institute who tutors outside of class for additional income. Then on Wednesdays, I'll begin to learn how to decifer the "background buzz" of Spanish conversation by attending a ladies Bible study that one of the ladies from our church has.



With all of these plans and things, I have to stay on top of my learning. Well, I was at our neighbors house and her son, age 6 and in kindergarden has this book that he read to me. It's basically a beginner's reader or learn to read type book. First it works on the sounds and then reading. Boy did I feel DUMB!!!


I didn't know half the words in the book. Sure I could pronounce them, but did I understand what they meant? NO!! NO!! NO!! So they loaned it to me. After getting over 15 small pages of new vocabulary words, I feel like a FULL ON IDIOT!!! 5 and 6 year old kids know these words and I don't. Therefore, I am thankful that I have this opportunity to learn this vocab, but still I feel like an idiot!

No comments: