Sunday, August 3, 2008

You're Costa Rican right?

With Addison's Disease I have to take trips to the doctor and labratory rather frenquently until they have the correct balance of cortisol in my body. Well, because I had to get to the hospital and back twice yesterday, I had the opportunity to speak with 4 different taxi drivers. The first one really encouraged me, as he too is a Christian. We spoke of God's love and his need to be a missionary here to his in-laws and others that he comes into contact with.

The last taxi driver was very talkative as well. I got into the car and proceeded to strike up a conversation. I felt weird though. He kept looking back at me. Most taxi drivers here will talk to you "through" the mirror, but this guy kept looking directly back at me. Well, about 1/3 of the way home, he looks at me and asked if I was "Tica" or Costa Rican. I responded "No, I'm from the states." (So that's why he kept looking at me. He was trying to figure our my nationality.) At this response he was genuinely surprised and said, "but you speak SOO well! You've been here a long time then?" That's when I explained why we are here and that we've only been here for 7 months. What a complement to be mistaken for a national!!!

It's always a wonderful opportunity to share why we are here and that we are missionaries. Doug and I both have had the opportunity to share about Christ in our lives simply by taking a taxi and being open to where God leads the conversation.

No comments: