Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cow Stomach


Ok - so tomorrow is Independence Day here in Costa Rica. Therefore we celebrated at Church today with typical Costa Rican food, which happened to include cow's stomach. I couldn't eat it. What a bad missionary, I am. I just couldn't do it. I did taste it and tried to chew it, but it was like chewing tough fat covered in felt. It had no taste, but I just couldn't eat it. That delicacy went by the way side. The other foods were yummy. You'd think that things would be spicy here, but it is nothing like Mexico where everything has a kick to it. Here things are VERY bland but full of celantro flavoring. Enjoy your next meal and think of us!

2 comments:

Joy said...

I've always thought a bad missionary would refuse to try something like cow stomach! You actually put it in your mouth and attempted to chew it. We've tried to teach our children that in order to be polite, you must try something offered to you. You don't have to like it, just try it. So you passed the polite test in our house, anyway!

Stephanie said...

This is one "delicacy" I've somehow managed to escape so far (they do eat it in Chile as well, but it's not as common.) The one food I simply could not eat while in language school (though I did try it) was the Mexican dish that is basically stewed cow brains or something those lines. So I feel your pain! :)