Monday, September 15, 2008

Reading in Spanish

Regardless of your like or dislike of the Harry Potter series, it is a pretty good read, even in Spanish. That's right, I'm reading it in Spanish. It's actually pretty interesting, although I'm using my dictionary quite a bit, especially my out of date 1960's Spanish dictionary that I still have from my high school Spanish classes. I think that's because the books were written by an English author and therefore when translated it is more typical of Spain Spanish, plus the topics are quite "old school."

This is the first exposure that anyone in our family has had with this series. I'm hesitant to expose my kids just yet to this type of world of imagination. However when I saw the books in the bookstore here and I needed to begin reading something elementary in Spanish, I thought it would be a good way to guage the value of letting my kids read the books or see the movies. For me, it is simply a good imaginative story, but for my kids and their little eyes, ears, and thoughts, we are putting into practice the kids song "Oh be careful little eyes what you see..." Any thoughts?? I welcome comments as to what your family has done and any positives or negatives that have resulted.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Harry Potter is a hard topic, I really liked them, but it seems to offend people and you never know who will or will not be offended. In the end, it's all about good and evil, and I don't see how the witches in Harry Potter are any different than the witches in Narnia. I will say that the first few books are lighter and happier, and they move darker as you finish them. That's a great way to get more authentic language since textbooks often don't represent real language.

Anonymous said...

heather,
drew, david and I have all read the books and all of the kids have seen the movies, though drew and ali like them more then the little ones. what we have told the kids is, just like the animated disney movies they like to watch that have witches and wizards on them, harry potter and disney is just PRETEND. just like there is no REAL cinderella there is no REAL harry potter. The 3 big kids all understand that and alaina often tells me when a movie gets a little suspenseful that it is just pretend. Dave and I have used harry potter to teach good vs evil and even bring in the bible and stories they have heard in sunday school. i personally think that Harry potter is only what you make of it. heather pierce

Anonymous said...

Doug and Heather,
Be careful our enemy prowls like a roaring lion waiting to devour you. The witches and wizards that appear harmless or fictional is actually basic demonic callings. The devil will give you power to do these things and that is why they are so appealing to kids in our society. Kids want to be powerful and if they need to sell their souls to do so they will. Deuteronomy 18:10-12, 1 Samuel 15:23. Please don't let the devil tell you it's no big deal, that it is only a fun thing. Satan is and until conquered, a mighty being that wants nothing more than to throw you off course. Remember, after all it was just a piece of fruit! Did God really say? Look through the eyes of God and not through our sin stained eyes that is willing to accept anything that appears OK. Our battle is not against flesh and blood but is a spiritual battle. I ask you which side are the wizards, witches, and spells on? If it looks like God, acts like God and responds like God it must be God. If it looks like Satan, acts like Satan, responds like Satan, and if you have to ask if it is Satan, it must be.

Amundson Family Musings said...

I'd love to know who you are when you comment on my blog. I understand all points of view and since reading the first book myself, I don't believe that my kids will be exposed to them any time soon, but I'd love to know who is reading, commenting, and sharing. Thanks!